August 11, 2014

Fan Art by Sarah Tregay (review)

Title: Fan Art
Author: Sarah Tregay
Release date: June 17, 2014
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Genre: YA, LGBT
Buy on: Amazon | Book Depository | B&N
Goodreads

When the picture tells the story…

Senior year is almost over, and Jamie Peterson has a big problem. Not college—that’s all set. Not prom—he’ll find a date somehow. No, it’s the worst problem of all: he’s fallen for his best friend.

As much as Jamie tries to keep it under wraps, everyone seems to know where his affections lie, and the giggling girls in art class are determined to help Jamie get together with Mason. But Jamie isn’t sure if that’s what he wants—because as much as Jamie would like to come clean to Mason, what if the truth ruins everything? What if there are no more road trips, taco dinners, or movie nights? Does he dare risk a childhood friendship for romance?

This book is about what happens when a picture reveals what we can’t say, when art is truer than life, and how falling in love is easy, except when it’s not. Fan Art explores the joys and pains of friendship, of pressing boundaries, and how facing our worst fears can sometimes lead us to what we want most.

I've been wanting to read this book ever since I found out it was going to be published. Luckily the library had it and I was actually the first one to read the book, which just feel extra good.

This book was just complete cuteness. Jamie is a guy everyone wants to be friends with and you can tell that everyone is sort of friends with him. People just like him. But he is gay and scared to come out, mostly because he is afraid to lose his best friend Mason (with who he is also in love). But yeah, a lot of people can kind of tell he's gay and everyone is pretty much okay with it (especially the art girls who ships him with Mason). And bonus point: Mason looks like Darren Criss (according to Jamie, that it).

I guess you can tell from the way of writing I'm a bit giggly, and yes I am. I started rewriting a bit after a day of reading, but I can't help but not get a bit giggly because of this book. I just loved it. And I find it difficult to explain why exactly. It doesn't have a lot of drama, just a little bit, and Jamie and Mason are so cute together and that was just as regular friends! There wasn't a character I didn't like, though I did dislike Lia a little bit, just because she came across as a bit homophobic, but that's sadly 'normal' in this world so it did fit.

Also another great thing was the art (even though I hoped there was more, since there were more mentions of drawings) and all the poems that were added.


2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a lot of fun! I think I'm going to have to look out for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed, and I'm still not able to get a coherent word out about it. The whole book is just cute. Though I do have to say, that on Goodreads there are some very negative comments about it. I guess it is a hit or miss read (and I hope it will be a hit for you just like it was for me!)

      Delete

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com